Kurt D. Van Sciver
Kurt Van Sciver focuses his practice on trusts and estates litigation. He has served as lead counsel in multiple bench trials before the probate court. He regularly litigates issues such as breach of fiduciary duties, accounting issues, spousal property petitions, and trust ownership of property. Representative clients include trustees, trust beneficiaries, executors, and conservators.
Kurt has written briefs for state and federal appellate courts and he has argued in front of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He began his legal career by clerking for the Honorable Stephen J. Markman of the Michigan Supreme Court and the Honorable Daniel Manion of the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Kurt is the former President of the Probate Section of the Kern County Bar Association. He is a co-founder of the local chapter of the Federalist Society.
He lives in Bakersfield with his wife Megan and their five children.
Areas of Practice
- Trust, Estate and Probate Litigation
- California, 2009
- Michigan, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2009
- Ave Maria School of Law, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Juris Doctor summa cum laude - 2006
- Thomas Aquinas College
- Bachelor of Arts - 2002
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kern County Bar Association, 2009 - Present
- Kern County Bar Association, Probate Section President, 2013
- Kern County Bar Association, Probate Section Vice President, 2012
- Kern County Bar Association, Probate Section Treasurer, 2011
- Klein, DeNatale, Goldner, Cooper, Rosenlieb & Kimball, LLP, 2009-Present
- Michigan Supreme Court, Honorable Stephen J. Markman, Lansing, MI, Law Clerk, 2006 - 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, Honorable Daniel A. Manion, South Bend, IN, Law Clerk, 2008 - 2009