Dustin Dodgin is a business lawyer with a vast, multi-disciplinary practice. With clients ranging from private investors and small business owners to publicly-traded companies, Dustin navigates clients through complex business and real estate transactions as well as state court, federal court, and government agency proceedings. Dustin also serves as outside general counsel for several clients, providing business counseling and government relations services. Dustin has been recognized by SuperLawyers as a Rising Star in every year from 2014 through 2021, an honor bestowed on just 2.5% of attorneys in Southern California.
Recent representations include:
- Representation of private investors in a multi-property hospitality acquisition nearing $300 million;
- Representation of California company in connection with $139 million contract for ventilators, one of the State of California’s largest COVID-related contracts;
- Lead trial counsel for California employer in securing directed verdict in jury trial of multi-plaintiff wage and hour claim;
- Representation of medical practice in expansion strategy though multiple acquisitions of practices throughout California;
- Representation of publicly-traded company in purchase of 250,000 square-foot logistics center;
- Representation of private investor in acquisition of historic oil and gas development—from due diligence through post-closing negotiation of access and injection rights;
- Successful defense of license in agency hearing for insurance licensee in top 1% of national company;
- Lead counsel in securing complete defense of trade secret claims against client’s former company;
- Representation of distressed commercial property owner; blocked receiver from taking control of shopping center for two rent cycles to complete debt workout without bankruptcy filing;
- Lead counsel for California employer in securing summary judgment to eliminate all wage and hour claims in arbitration proceeding;
- Successfully compelled arbitration in multiple actions against California employers; and
- Representation of California employer with 1,500 current and former employee class members; favorably settled wage-and-hour class action and related PAGA claims before the filing of a responsive pleading or responding to discovery.
Dustin maintains offices in Santa Barbara and Bakersfield. Outside the practice of law, Dustin has served as chairman of the city planning commission, chairman of the investment committee for a $5 billion pension fund, and chairman of the board of directors of Goodwill Industries of South Central California. Dustin also volunteers as a judge for various high school academic competitions and coaches youth baseball and soccer.
- State Bar of California, (2006); U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, (2010)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern (2006) Southern (2010), and Central (2012) Districts of California
- Bachelor of Arts, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2003
- Juris Doctor, University of San Diego School of Law, 2006
- CALI Award, Civil Practicum, 2006
- San Diego Law Review, Lead Editor and Symposium Coordinator
Klein DeNatale Goldner, 2006-Present
Extern, U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, Hon. Barry Ted Moskowitz, 2005
Law Clerk, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Civil Division, Southern District of California, 2005